Karan P. Singh, Ph.D. – Co-Director
Sejong Bae, Ph.D. – Co-Director
Contact: (205) 934-6887 or (205) 975-5121
The primary objective of the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Facility (BBSF) is to serve as a focal point from which UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center (UAB-CCC) investigators draw statistical and bioinformatics expertise for planning, management, and analysis of their studies. The specific aims of the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Facility are:
- Coordinate and manage statistical and bioinformatics activities in the CCC to ensure that investigators have ready access to study design and analytic consultation and support.
- Provide data analysis for CCC projects using contemporary statistical methodologies.
- Provide statistical consultation on clinical study design and research proposal development including pilot projects.
- Provide high quality, centralized data management services.
- Provide consultation and access to bioinformatics capabilities.
- Provide statistical review of human subjects protocols as part of the Protocol Review and Monitoring System.
Education and Outreach
- Participate and initiate teaching and training activities within the CCC.
- Participate in the minority outreach and teaching programs undertaken by the CCC.
- Develop methodologies for experimental design and analyses that enhance the BBSF’s technical capabilities in providing research support.
The BBSF provides a centralized infrastructure that acts as a hub to strengthen the research capabilities of UAB-CCC members. The collective expertise of the members of the BBSF acts as an essential bridging mechanism between statisticians, bioinformatics specialists, biologists, bench scientists, population scientists and clinicians across the UAB-CCC. In addition, its services are critical components of other UAB-CCC shared facilities and the BBSF provides an essential resource in terms of study design as UAB-CCC investigators expand their research capabilities. This is of particular importance in terms of bioinformatics capabilities. The BBSF collaborates closely with other UAB-CCC shared facilities to provide analysis and data mining for microarrays of various platforms, proteomics data, and data from next-generation sequencing (NGS) and statistical genetic approaches. Most recently, these services are being expanded to include support of cancer-related microbiome research. In this capacity, the BBSF acts to consolidate the research pipelines and to facilitate access to other specialized bioinformatics disciplines offered by these facilities and at UAB. The latter includes the services offered by the newly formed UAB Institute for Informatics, which is headed by James Cimino, M.D. (ET), and is focused on cross-platform data aggregation and the development and use of advanced bioinformatics approaches to develop a “learning health care” system.
The various functions of the BBSF are all focused around the concept that a solid understanding of data requirements, statistical analyses and bioinformatics approaches are needed for each phase of successful, valid, and cancer research and its translation to clinical applications. This facility provides UAB-CCC investigators with intellectual, logistical, and analytical support from experimental design to data management to analysis.
Co-Director: Karan P. Singh, Ph.D.
Co-Director: Sejong Bae, Ph.D.
Phone: (205) 934-6887 or (205) 975-5121
You may also send requests for support by using the following: