Kurt Zinn, D.V.M, Ph.D. – Director
Hyunki Kim, Ph.D. – CT Specialist
Contact: (205) 975-6414
The goal of the Preclinical Imaging Shared Facility (PCISF) is to support multimodality imaging in appropriate preclinical models. Our overall mission is to accelerate the translation of basic research to human trials that will ultimately benefit patients. Imaging conducted in the facility currently provides rapid, repeated, accurate, and cost-effective evaluation of new cancer treatments in preclinical models, using the most sophisticated technologies available. The facility has undertaken a multimodality imaging approach to provide a molecular understanding of cancer in animal models by integrating measurements of tumor mass, tumor receptors, tumor-specific targeting, vascular parameters, and specific therapy responses. Importantly, many of the technologies applied in the preclinical context are similarly applied in UAB-CCC clinical trials. The specific aims of the Preclinical Imaging Shared Facility are as follows:
- To provide state-of-the-art molecular imaging for preclinical studies in appropriate animal models, and support IND’s for transition to human imaging studies.
- To provide consultation and training to UAB-CCC members for molecular imaging in cancer models.
- To establish methods for image analyses.
- To maintain the instruments and keep them accurately calibrated.
- To develop novel imaging technologies and acquire new instruments
During the current funding period (2011-2014) a total of 54 UAB-CCC investigators were supported, of which 36 investigators had one or more NCI grants (Table 1. Research Strategy Section D). There were 92 total users, therefore, 38 users that were not UAB-CCC investigators. Major facility upgrades, equipment purchases, technology development, and faculty hiring during the current funding period have positioned our Shared Resource to more significantly support UAB-CCC investigators in their preclinical research studies.
Director: Kurt Zinn, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Phone: (205) 975-6414
MRI/MRS Manager: Mark Bolding, Ph.D.
Phone: (205) 975-4060
CT Specialist: Hyunki Kim, Ph.D.
Phone: (205) 996-4088