|Collaborative Inter-Programmatic Development Grants for Tumor Immunology|
--Applications are open to all UAB faculty members (any rank) who are core members of the Tumor Immunology Program, CCC, regardless of extramural funding status.
--The purpose of these grants is to promote collaborative inter-programmatic interactions between core members of the Tumor Immunology Program with members of the other CCC Programs.
--Preference will be given to proposals considered likely to lead to co-authored publications,extramural proposals, and potential translational applications.
--Acceptable grants will have two co-principal investigators and will describe how the funds will be distributed between two laboratories.
--A budget page and budget justification from each laboratory is requested.
--A collaborative interaction may include work by a single trainee or technician in two different laboratories.
--Awards will be limited to a maximum of $50,000 per grant for a 12-month period beginning October 1, 2010.
--Grant proposals should represent complete NIH R21-style applications, with the exceptions noted below. The CIPDG program is not a mechanism to fund short-term investigations with limited potential for future research development.
Format of Applications
--Proposals should represent NIH R21-type research grant applications, with the important additions and exceptions noted below. Use the NIH PA-10-069 Funding Opportunity Guidelines (https://apply07.grants.gov/apply/forms_apps_idx.html).
PLEASE NOTE: You will not submit the downloaded application. This is for guidance ONLY, so that you will be familiar with the NIH electronic process.
--Arrange application as follows, using NIH instructions except where noted otherwise. Items # 1 - 10 must be included.
1. Cover Letter from the principal investigators – Describe career goals and how a CIPDG Tumor Immunology Program award would promote interactions between your laboratories.
2. Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statements – Original signed forms for all key personnel listed in the application are required. Electronic Form and instructions can be obtained from https://blazerapps.uab.edu/uabforms/Disclosures/default.aspx or the UAB Office of the Conflict of Interest Review Board, AB 1120, phone 5-9691.
3. Face Page (SF424 (R&R) Form Page 1) – Print this page and allow your department’s chair to sign at the bottom. There is not a signature line, please create one.
4. Description and Personnel Justification (SF424 (R&R) Research Related Budget) – Note: document may be created in accordance to previous PHS 398 form for key personnel and uploaded to the PDF file.
5. Detailed Budget (SF424 (R&R) – Research and Related Budget) – See below for allowable expenses. Provide one detailed budget for each participating laboratory. Do not list any personnel with percent effort unless salary is budgeted.
6. Budget Justification (SF424 (R&R) – Research and Related Budget) – Describe roles of key personnel and explain any unusual budget requests. Provide one justification for each participating laboratory.
7. Biographical Sketches (SF424 (R&R) Biographical Sketch Format Page) – For principal investigators and all other key personnel listed on form page 2. Two page limit for each sketch. List other support on separate other support pages.
8. Other Support (SF424 (R&R) Other Support Format Page) – For principal investigators, list all current and pending extramural and intramural support. Include awards with other principal investigators, if the applicant is listed in the key personnel. Give award dates and briefly describe each project. For all other key personnel, list only current and pending extramural and intramural awards.
9. Resources (SF424 (R&R) Resources Section) – Describe within the grant.
10. Research Plan: (sections 1 and 2 not to exceed 6 pages including figures)
--Human Subjects Sections
--Select Agent Research
--Multiple PI Leadership Plan
--Bibliography & References Cited
--Resource Sharing Plan (Data Sharing and Model Organism Sharing)
--Letters of Support
11. NO Appendix Material Allowed
--UAB extramural checklist is not needed, and CIPDG applications do not require full UAB OGCA signatures (“walk-through”). However, items listed below must be addressed, and the face page should be signed by the applicant’s departmental chairman.
--Human Use Approval must be filed with the UAB Institutional Review Board (IRB) for all proposals involving studies of human samples or data, at the time of CPDG submission. There is no “just in time” provision for CIPDG applications. Applications using human samples or data that do not have IRB approval pending will not be reviewed. Funding cannot be activated until certification of UAB IRB human use approval has been received. Complete guidelines and forms for human use are available at the website http://main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=30246, or from the IRB Director’s office, AB 470, phone 4-3789.
--Animal Use Approval must be filed with the UAB Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) if animals are planned for study, at the time of CIPDG submission. There is no “just in time” provision for CIPDG applications. Applications using animals that do not have IACUC approval pending will not be reviewed. Funding cannot be activated until certification of UAB animal use approval has been received. Guidelines and forms are available at the website http://www.uab.edu/iacuc/ or from the IACUC Director’s office, VH B-10, phone 4-7692.
--Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) registration must be filed at the time of CIPDG application submission. See http://www.healthsafe.uab.edu/pages/home/writingagrant.html for guidelines and forms.
Indirect costs are not applicable to CIPDG awards. The following types of expenditures are allowable:
--Research supplies and animal maintenance
--Domestic travel when necessary to carry out the proposed research
--Publication costs, including reprints
--Cost of computer time
--Special fees (pathology, photography, etc.)
--Stipends for graduate students and postdoctoral assistants if their role is to promote and sustain the project presented by the junior faculty member
--Equipment costing less than $2,000 (excluding computers)
--Registration fees for scientific meetings
The following types of expenditures are NOT allowed:
--Construction or building maintenance, major alternations
--Dues and membership fees in scientific societies
--Foreign travel (except for scientific meetings held in Canada, see above)
--Honoraria and travel expenses for visiting lecturers
--Non-medical services to patients
--Office and laboratory furniture
--Office equipment and supplies, including computers and peripherals
--Per diem charges for hospital beds
--Purchasing and binding of periodicals and books
--Recruiting and relocation expenses
--Rental of office or laboratory space
--Salary of Principal Investigator or of secretarial/administrative personnel
Applicants must submit one original paper application plus one complete electronic version of the application (PDF Required).
Assemble the paper copy, including all original signed forms and/or notarized documents, in the order listed on page 2 (Items 1-10). Do not staple; binder clips are preferred.
Please create a PDF of all forms and sections of the grant using Adobe Acrobat software (instead of scanning), so that figures and diagrams retain original color and resolution. Assemble the entire electronic application in the same order as listed above and submit in ONE PDF file.
Deliver the original paper application to:
THT 922, Campus zip 0006 - (Phone 205-975-0734)
Both the paper and electronic versions must be received no
later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 16, 2010.
Review of Applications and Awards
Applications are scheduled for review in September 2010, by a committee of UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center faculty. Awards are projected to start October 1, 2010. Awards cannot be activated until all applicable UAB conflict of interest, human use, animal use, and OHS reviews have been completed.
For questions about preparation and submission of applications, contact: