|Ovarian Cancer Pilot Grant|
The UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center and Division of Gynecologic Oncology, through generous support from the Norma Livingston Foundation and the Brooke Hill Foundation, are seeking applications for research in ovarian cancer.
1. Eligibility: Principal Investigators must have primary faculty appointments at UAB at the level of Assistant Professor or higher and should not have other funding in place for the proposed studies. Qualified faculty from any department are eligible and encouraged to apply.
2. Priorities: Applications are encouraged that address areas of need in ovarian cancer research, including early detection, examination of early events in tumor initiation, novel therapeutics, and examination of mechanisms of chemoresistance. A Scientific Review Group will be appointed to assess the scientific merit of each proposal. Priorities will be given to proposals with translational applicability in which data generated will lead to R01-level grants or proposals within Program Project or SPORE grants.
3. Grant details: It is anticipated that 2-3 grants up to a maximum amount of $50,000 for a one-year period will be awarded. Awards will cover direct costs only. Anticipated activation date is November 1, 2011.
4. To apply: In a single pdf file, prepare the following materials, single-spaced with 1-inch margins using Arial 11.
a) Cover page including name, department, title, phone, email, and project title with abstract of 300 words or less
b) Research Plan – Describe the Background, Hypothesis, Specific Aims, and Experiment Design. Include statements describing the proposal’s innovation, and how the information gained can be transitioned into R01-level proposals. Preliminary data is not required, but may be included. Limit this section to 5 pages. An additional page of references may be added.
c) Biosketch (current NIH format, http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html). Include grants awarded but not yet active and those applied for and pending decision.
d) A one-page budget in NIH format with one page budget justification
6. Obligations: Awarded investigators will be required to submit a progress report within 3 months of the conclusion of funding. This report should include results of project, submitted or planned abstract presentations and publications, and plans for any R01 or other grant proposals. Investigators should also acknowledge the Norma Livingston and Brooke Hill Foundations in any published results.