|Esophageal Cancer Pilot Project Grants|
The UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center has received a very generous gift of $50,000 from the Bo Johnson Memorial Foundation to support research in the area of esophageal cancer. Mr. Johnson was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2005, and tragically died three months after diagnosis. An annual golf tournament was established in Mr. Johnson's honor to raise funds and awareness for this cancer. We are honored that the Cancer Center is the recipient of funds raised from the 2009 4th Annual Bo Johnson Memorial Golf Tournament. $50,000 will be used to support one (1) pilot grant on esophageal cancer, in the areas of basic science, clinical science or prevention, for a one-year period.
--Applications are open to all UAB faculty members (any rank) who are core members of the CCC, regardless of extramural funding status.
--The purpose of this grant is to promote innovative research on esophageal cancer.
--Applications are due June 30, 2011.
--Award will be limited to a maximum of $50,000 per grant for a 12-month period beginning September 1, 2011.
--Grant proposals should represent complete NIH R21-style applications, with the exceptions noted below. The Pilot Project program is not a mechanism to fund short-term investigations with limited potential for future research development.
FORMAT OF APPLICATIONS:
--Proposals should represent NIH R21-type research grant applications, with the important additions and exceptions noted below. Use the NIH PA-10-069 Program Announcement Guidelines (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-10-069.html)
--Arrange application as follows, using NIH instructions except where noted otherwise. Items # 1 - 10 must be included.
1. Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statements – Original signed forms for all key personnel listed in the application are required. Electronic Form and instructions can be obtained from https://blazerapps.uab.edu/uabforms/Disclosures/default.aspx or the UAB Office of the Conflict of Interest Review Board, AB 1120, phone 5-9691.
2. Face Page (SF424 (R&R) Form Page 1) – Print this page and allow your department’s chair to sign at the bottom. There is not a signature line, create one...
3. Description and Personnel Justification (SF424 (R&R) Modular Budget) – Note: document may be created in accordance to previous PHS 398 form for key personnel and uploaded to the PDF file.
4. Detailed Budget (SF424 (R&R) – Modular budget is not acceptable. See below for allowable expenses. Do not list any personnel with percent effort unless salary is budgeted.
5. Budget Justification (use NIH continuation page) – Describe roles of key personnel and explain any unusual budget requests.
6. Biographical Sketches (NIH Biographical Sketch Format Page) – For principal investigators and all other key personnel listed on form page 2. Two page limit for each sketch. List other support on separate other support pages.
7. Other Support (NIH Other Support Format Page) – For principal investigator, list all past, current and pending extramural and intramural support. Give award dates and total direct costs, and briefly describe each project. For all other key personnel, list only current and pending extramural and intramural awards.
8. Resources (NIH Resources Format Page)
9. Research Plan:
1. Specific Aims (Limited to 6 pages including figures)
2. Research Strategy (Limited to 6 pages including figures)
3. Human Subjects Sections
4. Vertebrate Animals
5. Select Agent Research
6. Bibliography & References Cited
7. Consortium/Contractual Arrangements
8. Resource Sharing Plan (Data Sharing and Model Organism Sharing
10. NO Appendix Material Allowed
--UAB extramural checklist is not needed, and applications do not require full UAB OGCA signatures (“walk-through”). However, items listed below must be addressed, and the face page should be signed by the applicant’s departmental chairman.
--Human Use Approval must be filed with the UAB Institutional Review Board (IRB) for all proposals involving studies of human samples or data, at the time of CPDG submission. There is no “just in time” provision for CPDG applications. Applications using human samples or data that do not have IRB approval pending will not be reviewed. Funding cannot be activated until certification of UAB IRB human use approval has been received. Complete guidelines and forms for human use are available at the website http://main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=30246, or from the IRB Director’s office, AB 470, phone 4-3789.
• Animal Use Approval must be filed with the UAB Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) if animals are planned for study, at the time of CPDG submission. There is no “just in time” provision for CPDG applications. Applications using animals that do not have IACUC approval pending will not be reviewed. Funding cannot be activated until certification of UAB animal use approval has been received. Guidelines and forms are available at the website http://www.uab.edu/iacuc/ or from the IACUC Director’s office, VH B-10, phone 4-7692.
• Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) registration must be filed at the time of CPDG application submission. See http://www.healthsafe.uab.edu/pages/home/writingagrant.html for guidelines and forms.
BUDGET: Indirect costs are not applicable to this award.
The following types of expenditures are allowable:
--Research supplies and animal maintenance
--Domestic travel when necessary to carry out the proposed research
--Publication costs, including reprints
--Cost of computer time
--Special fees (pathology, photography, etc.)
--Stipends for graduate students and postdoctoral assistants if their role is to promote and sustain the project presented by the junior faculty member
--Equipment costing less than $2,000 (excluding computers)
--Registration fees for scientific meetings
The following types of expenditures are NOT allowed:
--Construction or building maintenance, major alternations
--Dues and membership fees in scientific societies
--Foreign travel (except for scientific meetings held in Canada, see above)
--Honoraria and travel expenses for visiting lecturers
--Non-medical services to patients
--Office and laboratory furniture
--Office equipment and supplies, including computers and peripherals
--Per diem charges for hospital beds
--Purchasing and binding of periodicals and books
--Recruiting and relocation expenses
--Rental of office or laboratory space
--Salary of Principal Investigator or of secretarial/administrative personnel
Applicants must submit one original paper application plus one complete electronic version of the application (PDF preferred). Assemble the paper copy, including all original signed forms and notarized documents, in the order listed on page 2 (items #1 – 12). Do not staple; binder clip is preferred.
For the electronic version, Conflict of Interest Disclosure forms (item #2) may be omitted. Scan all other signed form pages and documents. It is recommended that the Research Plan section be
directly converted into a PDF using Adobe Acrobat software (instead of scanning), so that figures and diagrams retain original color and resolution. Assemble the entire electronic application (excluding conflict of interest forms) in the same order as the paper application all together into one PDF.
Deliver the original paper application to:
THT 922, Campus zip 0006 - (Phone 205.975.0734)
Both the paper and electronic versions must be received no later than 5:00 pm on Thursday, June 30, 2011.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS AND AWARDS: Applications are scheduled for review in Mid-August 2011, by a committee of UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center faculty. Awards are projected to start September 1, 2011. Awards cannot be activated until all applicable UAB conflict of interest, human use, animal use, and OHS reviews have been completed.
CONTACT for questions about preparation and submission of applications: