March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, and the Birmingham community along with UAB faculty, staff and students has an opportunity to attend an original and new Colon on the Green event Friday, March 3, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on the campus green.
Last year, UAB, UAB Medicine and the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center joined forces with the American Cancer Society to initiate the 80 by ʼ18 colorectal cancer effort to actively promote colorectal cancer screening among its employees to reach 80 percent of eligible UAB employees to get screened by 2018.
This year, the effort continues with this new fun event hosted by UAB Employee Wellness to keep the momentum going with its employees, as well as jumpstart awareness among students. While employees are encouraged to educate themselves about colorectal screening options, students are urged to get the conversation started and determine their own family history.
“With early detection, colorectal cancer is one of the most preventable and treatable cancers, and this Colon on the Green event is a fun and engaging way to raise awareness,” said Anna Threadcraft, RDN, L.D., director of UAB Employee Wellness.
The Birmingham and UAB communities are invited to enjoy the festivities with:
- Photo booth and exclusive Blaze photo opportunity
- Free T-shirts, socks and other swag for the first 300 attendees
- Raffle drawing for cookbooks, Fitbits, Employee Wellness swag bags and other fantastic prizes
- The 16-foot Inflatable Colon provided by Rumpshaker Inc.
- Steel City Pops ($3) and music from Blaze Radio
- Informational booths and tables
For more information, visit uab.edu/colononthegreen or call 205-996-7343.