Pastoral Care/Chaplaincy Services at UAB
Cancer can be a difﬁcult and demanding experience for patients and families. For many people, spiritual resources or
faith is a source of strength, support and comfort during this time. Chaplains are an integral part of the health care team
available to patients and their families 24 hours a day while receiving care at the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The Pastoral Care Department is located on the ﬁrst ﬂoor of the West Pavilion lobby, Room 125, next to the Interfaith
Chapel. The Interfaith Chapel is always open for prayer, meditation and reﬂection.
When to Call a Chaplain:
• A patient or family member would appreciate emotional or spiritual support;
• A patient or family member would like prayer or spiritual counseling;
• A patient or family member is struggling with issues of grief or loss;
• When discouragement, depression or anxiety threatens a patient’s healing.
How to Request a Chaplain:
• Ask any hospital staff member to contact a chaplain for you.
• Call *55 from within UAB Hospital and ask the operator to page the “Chaplain on Call”
to come to your room.
• Call (205) 934-3411 and ask the operator to page the “Chaplain on Call” to come to
• Visit the Pastoral Care Department online at www.uabmedicine.org or call (205) 934-4254.
TAB FIVE | RESOURCES patient guide